Gartner, Inc., in its latest Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies 2023, positions Generative artificial intelligence (AI) at the Peak of Inflated Expectations, anticipating it to bestow transformational benefits within the next two to five years. This AI variant is part of the broader emergent AI trend, heralding new vistas for technological innovation.
Generative AI's Rise in the Tech Realm
“The popularity of many new AI techniques will have a profound impact on business and society,” elucidates Arun Chandrasekaran, Distinguished VP Analyst at Gartner. Chandrasekaran emphasizes the significant scale of AI foundational models, the rising adoption rate of conversational tools, and the widespread applications of generative AI, stating they signify “a new wave of workforce productivity and machine creativity.”
The unique facet of the Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies is its ability to condense insights from the plethora of technologies Gartner reviews annually, pinpointing only the most transformative ones predicted to redefine industries in the upcoming decade.
Beyond AI: Gartner's Emphasis on Other Emerging Technologies
Melissa Davis, VP Analyst at Gartner, points out, “While all eyes are on AI right now, CIOs and CTOs must also turn their attention to other emerging technologies with transformational potential.” Davis underscores the importance of technologies augmenting developer experiences, those catalyzing innovation through a ubiquitous cloud, and technologies emphasizing human-centric security and privacy.
Davis further adds a note of caution, reminding that these technologies, being in their nascent stages, carry a degree of uncertainty regarding their evolution. However, she posits that early adopters might gain significantly despite the inherent risks.
Emerging Technology Trends in Four Broad Themes
- Emergent AI: Beyond generative AI, other promising techniques like AI simulation, causal AI, federated machine learning, and more, are poised to refine digital customer interactions and lead to better-informed business decisions.
- Developer Experience (DevX): Focusing on the symbiotic relationship between developers and their working tools, enhancing DevX is pivotal for the success of digital initiatives. Technologies like AI-augmented software engineering and open-source program office are spearheading this domain.
- Pervasive Cloud: Forecasted to transition from just an innovation platform to an indispensable business innovation driver in the coming decade, the cloud's far-reaching effects are undeniable. Technologies like augmented FinOps and cloud-native are pioneering this evolution.
- Human-centric Security and Privacy: With humans at the core of most security breaches, the spotlight is on devising security that's woven into the very fabric of an organization’s digital blueprint. Emerging tech like AI TRISM and postquantum cryptography are front runners in this endeavor.
Gartner's 2023 Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies not only underscores the monumental potential of generative AI but also brings to the fore other emerging technologies that are set to reshape the landscape of the digital world. As these technologies continue to evolve, businesses and society at large must gear up to harness their transformative power, ensuring a future that's not only technologically advanced but also sustainable and secure.
- The Black Box Problem in LLMs: Challenges and Emerging Solutions
- Alex Ratner, CEO & Co-Founder of Snorkel AI – Interview Series
- Circleboom Review: The Best AI-Powered Social Media Tool?
- Stable Video Diffusion: Latent Video Diffusion Models to Large Datasets
- Donny White, CEO & Co-Founder of Satisfi Labs – Interview Series